[TowerTalk] Enhanced OWA

To: "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Enhanced OWA
From: Brian Beezley <k6sti@att.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2018 07:48:48 -0700
Just a note that I've updated my OWA writeup with curves for a 3-element Yagi with bent driven element and hairpin match. This design has a good pattern on the low end of the band and relaxes it higher up where it may not be needed. It has more gain than a wideband 4-element OWA and less gain than a narrowband one. It might be an interesting alternative if you'd like to eliminate an element.

I think of the close-spaced OWA director as a distributed matching network. Why not use a lumped network and eliminate the element? I show curves for a 3-element Yagi that trades the hairpin for a pi-network. The response is really nice, but the design is impractical due to the very high capacitor current. So far I haven't found a lumped matching network that can fully replace the extra OWA director and survive high-power operation. High-current capacitors exist for broadcast applications, but they seem to cost hundreds of dollars.

If you limit the capacitor values to try to minimize current, a lumped compensating network still can be useful. An automatic optimizer can adjust the other variables to yield the best design possible within the constraint. I've simulated both pi-network and parallel-resonant tank circuits. I've seen benefit with capacitor values as low as 1000 pF on 40 meters. Values like this may be practical, at least at lower transmit levels. For example, CDE CDV16 mica capacitors can take amps of RF and are available for a few dollars each at Mouser. You might be able to parallel some to create a useful matching network. Each capacitor has its own RF current spec:

http://www.cde.com/resources/catalogs/CD-CDV16.pdf

For example, if you parallel ten CDV16FF101J03 100-pF capacitors, you get 1000 pF that will handle 9.2 amps. For 1500 watts, it needs to handle 12.6 amps. It also needs to survive temporary overvoltage due to a nearby lightning strike. I'm not at all sure it's wise to put a critical component out of reach atop a tower, but the idea of replacing an element remains attractive.

http://ham-radio.com/k6sti/owa.htm

Brian