Re: [TowerTalk] Need recommendations for a 40-10m. Yagi

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Need recommendations for a 40-10m. Yagi
From: Wes Stewart <wes_n7ws@triconet.org>
Date: Sun, 6 May 2018 13:08:06 -0700
I have a little OB7-3 that I bought never assembled, still in the box, from a contester friend who was going to use it for a "multiplier" antenna.  He changed his mind and sold it to me for half what he paid for it, which was still pricey IMHO.

I had an issue with QC and wrote a review on eham documenting it. I immediately got an email from "blue ocean", not trying to rectify the issue, but accusing me of improperly storing the antenna.  Since it had been in my friend's garage (along with several German cars), in the still strapped carton, I disagreed. He continued to give me so much grief, I asked that the review be removed.

Even with the very short boom, there is a bit if sag at the joint, and yes, the boom to mast clamps are similar to muffler clamps. The way the elements are assembled in my opinion makes swaging unnecessary and the loose fit makes it easy to telescope the tubing for shipping purposes.  I can't fault the operational performance and it models well, but I wouldn't buy another OptBeam.

Wes  N7WS