Re: [TowerTalk] 160m. Inverted L question

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 160m. Inverted L question
From: "john@kk9a.com" <john@kk9a.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2019 07:25:32 -0500
In Illinois I hung a vertical wire off of a Phillystran cable many feet
away from the tower and had good results. My model showed that the tower
slightly skewed the pattern, if I recall the tower acted as a reflector.
Four feet away is pretty close but I am not sure how coupling to your
tower would hurt, many people load their grounded tower with great
results. I assume you mean moving it 12' away and not 12". I think more is
better. You did not specify your tower height but since it is an "L" I am
assuming that it is not very high. A simple model would give you more
information.

GL,
John KK9A

Dick K9OM wrote:

Guys,

I've got a 160m. Inverted L with the vertical wire spaced 4' from a
grounded steel tower at the base and 6' at the top.  The radial system
isn't perfect but it's decent.  Based upon the Inv. L's poor performance,
I believe I may have a lot of power being coupled to the tower and shorted
to ground.  A couple questions:
1) I'd appreciate some guestimates on what percentage of input power may
be getting shorted to ground?
2) Any guestimate on what percentage of power may be saved if the Vertical
wire spacing is increased from 4' to 12" from the tower?

Thanks & 73,
Dick- K9OM