Re: [TowerTalk] Have you had success with ....

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Have you had success with ....
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 21 Jul 2019 08:23:22 -0700
On 7/20/19 6:46 PM, john@kk9a.com wrote:
I used to have a 20m Hy-Gain beam in addition to my stack of homebrew Yagi's.  I used no rope and it shed element tips constantly. I am not a mechanical engineer but I believe the tips break because they are made from very thin walled tubing and are attached to a much stiffer swedged aluminium tube instead of using a more gradual element taper.

Or it just happens to be a bad choice of relative mechanical resonant frequencies - imagine if your dominant aeolian shaking is at 1 Hz, and the tip happens to be resonant at 1 Hz. the main element might only be moving a few tenths of an inch, but the high Q of the tip means it's moving 10 inches.