Re: [TowerTalk] Cushcraft/MFJ Traps

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Cushcraft/MFJ Traps
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2019 16:21:59 -0700
On 9/12/2019 12:48 PM, K9MA wrote:
I disagree, Jim. If trap losses were really significant, 1.5 kW would burn them up very quickly.

AB7E response is right on. It is a combination of the loss in the traps and the compromised dimensions that account for the difference in gain.

About 20 years ago, a team led by K7LXC and N0AX set up and measured a dozen or so tri-banders under VERY carefully controlled conditions. A year or two before or after they did the same for HF verticals. You can buy their reports on the Champion Radio website. They are well worth the money.

N6BT's Force 12 small and large trapless tribanders (C3 and C31XR), then relatively new designs, had the greatest forward gain. Our team for FD, and for 7QP and CQP county expeditions uses a C3S (two of them with sunspots).

73, Jim K9YC