Re: [TowerTalk] Prop pitch question

To: "TowerTalk@contesting.com" <TowerTalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Prop pitch question
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Fri, 22 May 2020 10:35:20 -0700
Hi Stan,

My small PP moves a bit more back and forth in heavy wind, but does not drift. I think that is the backlash in the large gear reduction. Talking to K7NV about this he mentioned the advantage of the smaller PP, which is what I have.

Here are some "off the top" ideas, I've not seen an off-the-shelf product but one might exist

Maybe try to modify a motorcycle drum (or maybe disk) brake. Use standard brake shoes with a HD solenoid to actuate the brake. (would need power all the time) Although it would be better to have push and pull motion. One downside is the positive feedback in drum brakes so "reverse" may be needed to get a release after high "forward" torque.

An easier idea is a band brake, a car drum inside out. Assuming there is enough shaft to hold a disk (cast iron preferable). It has no positive feedback so takes more actuating force. Short stroke linear actuators are available with lots of force, run on 12v or 24v. (a lot on ebay, check if it has power off load capability).

Here is a possibility,
https://www.coxreels.com/band-brake-heavy-duty_8_28_1423.html

Some googling turned up https://knottbrake.com/categories/band-brakes/

A fair amount of work, but so is climbing the tower a dozen times....

Grant KZ1W