Re: [TowerTalk] AM Broadcast Harmonic Interference to 75 Meters

To: 'Byron Tatum' <bjtatum1@att.net>, 'Towertalk Reflector' <towertalk@contesting.com>, "k1ttt@arrl.net" <k1ttt@arrl.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] AM Broadcast Harmonic Interference to 75 Meters
From: amfone via TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Sat, 5 Dec 2020 18:54:41 +0000 (UTC)
 An actual harmonic of a station on 1290 would fall at 2.580 with the third
harmonic being at 3.870. Can you understand what is being broadcast on the
transmitter, music, voices etc for positive identification?

I helped when I was a OO with a Canadian station on 640 putting a harmonic a
few years back on1.920. There you could hear music and voices but not easily
understood for me, but S9 stronger for others. I reported this to the ARRL who
went thru proper channels and shortly thereafter I received an email from the
50,000 watt station in Toronto. When commercials were playing the engineer
switched transmitters, switch antenna patterns even went to lower power with a
back up transmitter but the harmonic was still there. While this was happening
he was emailing me and I was emailing back to him, despite all testing nothing
changed the harmonic was still there. They were getting ready to did up the
ground system around the station when they discovered the reason for the
problem. On the tower they rented a space for another firm to place an antenna
on the main tower much like the FM antenna you noted, that was the cause of the
harmonic. This problem was not all across the band as you note but only 1.920.
How strong is the strongest interfering signal you are able to hear. The
problem you report of a wide area of interference suggest something that is not
within FCC rules.

I would take a portable radio or if you have actual measuring equipment to the
station and listen to the signal to make sure it gets stronger as you approach
the station if you cannot positivily identify the station by its programing you
are hearing.

73 Tim

WB8UHZ

    On Saturday, December 5, 2020, 12:16:02 PM EST, <k1ttt.dave@gmail.com>