Re: [TowerTalk] Rotor Cabling Query

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rotor Cabling Query
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2021 16:53:38 -0700
On 4/2/2021 4:10 PM, CEPitts wrote:
I would like to hear from those in regards to ideas for the following. I know there are those who have long runs of control cabling for rotation, switching, etc. so I seek your ideas and advice.

For cable size, study the manual for the rotator to learn what they recommend for what length, then apply Ohm's law. For all of my control cables, there's a splice at the base of the tower and just outside the shack. Both are on barrier strips in standard weatherproof electrical boxes. For my run of 350 ft, I used two runs of Romex 14-2 laying on the ground from shack to the tower, then a specialty cable I found at a surplus house to get up the tower. That Romex has been there 13 years.

Most rotators only draw significant current to run the motor, much less to sense position. Mine, both Yaesu, use a pot. I used Romex for both functions only for convenience.

If the box is mounted vertically, cables can enter through holes drilled in the bottom, with standard electrical adjustable cable clamps. The box outside the shack has that arrangement for cables going to the towers, and PVC conduit through the wall.

73, Jim K9YC