[TowerTalk] School Tower

To: towertalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] School Tower
From: Wilson Lamb <infomet@embarqmail.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2021 15:00:55 -0400 (EDT)
WOW, great opportunity!
30-40' crankup would be great.
Don't spend on a Steppir; too much maintenance liability and complexity.
A tilt plate would be a better use of money.
An A-4 with 40m kit would get you where you need to be.
40m will make you short range QSOs with people more likely to spend time with
kids.
Try to find nets for schools...I don't know if there are any.  See if a town or
county engineer will handle the foundation.  You shouldn't have any problem
with permitting.
Put out the word that you're looking for a tower.
Someone moving/downsizing, going SK may provide a bargain.
Someone may make you put on anticlimb panels.
Don't forget lightning protection.
Try hard to hook up with locals/club.
My club once set up a station at a school.
You really need their experience to make this go smoothly.
WL