Re: [TowerTalk] Mast slippage

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Mast slippage
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Wed, 26 May 2021 20:08:52 -0700
The minor diameters of both 5/16-24 and M8x1 are within 1% of each other, so the area resisting tension is the same.

Grade 8 tensile strength 150,000 psi. 18-8 SS 70,000 psi so a simple comparison is the Grade 8 is over 2x the strength of 18-8 for same minor diameters.

There is some data about 18-8 stretch at less than yield which from experience I think is true. My mast clamp choice is always Gr8 in NF threads as the NF has a slight gain in minor diameter and is usually the choice for high strength bolts.

Higher strength materials are available if you are willing to pay $$.

My belief is most slip problems are caused by not using a torque wrench and sequential tightening plateaus up to the specified value. A dry Gr8 3/8-24 tension is 7900# when torqued to the spec 47 ft-lbs.

Then check in a few days and retighten whatever has yielded/moved a bit (everything does).

Grant KZ1W