Re: [TowerTalk] OCFD: Should I be able to do better?

To: "TowerTalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] OCFD: Should I be able to do better?
From: Haring family <dcharing@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 27 May 2021 16:46:01 -0400
40 OCFD:

What most of the comments you've received probably (or should) mean is that
you don't have a symmetrical/center-fed antenna, so you're more likely to
have feed problems and common-mode problems.

These can be easily dealt with, with a good balun and good common-mode
choke. However, some people will aim for perfection and may ridicule nearly
anything else...

An OCF has nothing to do with whether the antenna is resonant... you're
just picking something other than the symmetrical feed point! Yes, it's
"not quite resonant" on some of the bands... just close.

I often find it easier for a temporary installation to use an OCFD than a
fan-dipole. Especially in the trees.

The one I'm planning to use for FD - well, I am skipping 10 meters and just
planning on 15/20/40. 20 needs a tuner (2:1). 40 is high-1's so I'll use a
tuner there. 15 has low SWR. That is with the feed at 25% of the length.

And to other readers-yes, I know the pattern diverges from bidirectional on
higher frequencies. That actually is helpful for FD at this location.

regards,

Dave N3AC
FM07hj