Re: [TowerTalk] 4 SQ issue

To: Mpridesti <mpridesti@yahoo.com>, "Jorge Diez - CX6VM" <cx6vm.jorge@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 4 SQ issue
From: Alan Swinger <awswinger@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 02 Nov 2021 21:49:47 +0000
Subject: 4 Square Issues
through a full Full System analysis/check of my 40M 4 square w/ the help of the
DX Eng tech team. My concern was that I was observing degraded performance
(based on on-air sig repts) in the NW direction & also saw some unusual SWR
readings in the NW direction. The Verticals are homebrew alum 2 in (30 ft) to ½
in extensions, and the 4 phase coax lines and phasing box are from DXE – had
the system up for 10 yrs w/p issues and worked great.
The system check started w/ determining if the issue was in the antennas and/
or the phasing lines. So, here are the steps:
* Disconnected all phasing lines from the antennas and the Box
* Dropped all antennas except one – checked the SWR w/ my MFJ 259 analyzer, and
the repeated for ea of the other three verticals to see if any SWR readings
were bad . . . this also allowed me the opportunity to flush all kinds of junk
(bugs, bird stuff etc) from the tubing and clean up the tubing interfaces; and
also to re-tune ea vertical independently.
* Did the same procedure with the phasing lines connected – read the SWR to ea
of the verticals thru the phasing line to determine if any reading was unusual.
Readings were all OK after both of these steps
* Reconnected all phasing lines to the DXE phasing box and checked SWR from the
transmitter – Still no crazy bad readings!
* So, the DXE tech and I agreed that there was a problem in the Phasing box. I
sent it and they changed out a bunch of bad relays (10 yrs old!), I put it back
on the air and all is well . .. working DX again!

Hope this helps.
73 and Good DX – Alan K9MBQ