Re: [TowerTalk] DIR-DE-DIR on a 40m yagi ?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] DIR-DE-DIR on a 40m yagi ?
From: Gedas <w8bya@mchsi.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2021 14:14:48 -0500
A couple years ago when I was into 6m MS I was using an old CC 5-elem yagi at 75'. It worked very well and I was able to make hundreds of QSO's out past 1000 miles pretty much at will.

Along came some straight line winds which ripped off 1/2 of the reflector. On 6m it meant the reflector was gone. Surprisingly the SWR was not horrible so I just kept using it.

Soon I noticed that I was getting awesome reports off the front and rear of the antenna. This actually was a blessing since I did not have to turn the rotor and could cover huge parts of the country with one setting. The reports off the back were just as good as off the front when I turned the antenna and made repeated contacts with the same stations.

When I modeled the antenna sure enough the crippled antenna showed a beautiful, almost perfect bi-directional pattern. The front lobe was a dB or so stronger than the rear but I loved running the antenna that way. It was many years before I fixed it (actually I kinda miss it). 73

Gedas, W8BYA EN70JT

Gallery at http://w8bya.com
Light travels faster than sound....