Re: [TowerTalk] Need help with Tailtwister

To: "[TowerTalk]" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Need help with Tailtwister
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2021 17:33:40 -0500

I seem to remember something about an internal fuse in the control
box - could that be a source of the problem?
The fuse on the meter supply is shown on the schematic in your T2X
manual.

with the needle pegged to the left end of the scale.

Is the meter pegged with the control box turned off?  Can you reset
the needle to the left "S" indication with the adjustment screw on
the face of the meter (with the control box off and disconnected)?

A meter deflection to the left of zero *might* indicate a shorted
CR1 on the meter supply board (I have not tested that hypothesis).

> but the direction indication got erratic very briefly and
> then stopped indicating.

I would look to see if the cabling to the motor unit has been
damaged or if the rotator itself has come in contact with any
power cables.  Erratic behavior indicates a problem with the
pot or wires 3 & 7.  A meter deflection to the left of zero
indicates that terminal 3 (+ side of the meter) is *negative*
with respect to terminal 1 (wiper/ground).

Disconnect terminals 3 & 7 (or unplug the Cinch-Jones plug)
and measure the voltage between 3 & 7 ... it should be around
13V DC (regulated by VR1).

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV