Re: [TowerTalk] How to calculate aluminium transmission line impedance?

To: Tonno Vahk <tonno.vahk@gmail.com>, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] How to calculate aluminium transmission line impedance?
From: "Richard (Rick) Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Sun, 9 Oct 2022 19:49:55 -0700
See:

https://hamwaves.com/zc.square/en/

Running this gives a value of about 115 ohms.

The fact that it is aluminum doesn't affect Zo

73
Rick N6RK

On 10/9/2022 7:17 PM, Tonno Vahk wrote:
Hi,

I have EZNEC model of a tribander with one feedpoint where 10-15-20m elements
are joined with a transmission line of 20mm x 20mm aluminium profiles, the gap
between the profiles is 15mm.

For the model I need to know the impedance of the transmission line.

EZNEC provides a tool to calculate it from the wire diameter and spacing. Is
there any correction that should be applied with square aluminium bars? How to
calculate the correct impedance in this case?

In ENZEC model I have Length = Actual Distance, VF = 1. And the only thing
missing is the Zo I believe.

Look, forward to learn how this is calculated:)

73
Tonno
ES5TV