[TowerTalk] Mast clamp friction

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Mast clamp friction
From: k7lxc--- via TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2022 18:38:05 +0000 (UTC)
    Here is a cheap and elegant way to increase the friction.
 Cheers,Steve     K7LXC  If I need for a clamp to hold without slipping, this
is what I do.  I am
a retired machinist.

I make my own 3 inch saddles from 3/4 x 1 1/2 billet aluminum.

I use hot dipped galvanized U-bolts, as SS bolts all seem to be 'one
time' use, before failure.

I use a light duty adhesive sprayed on the 'bore' part of the saddle.
Women's hair spray works fine.

While wet, sprinkle silicon carbide particles on the adhesive. This size
is about like ground pepper from a pepper mill.

Assemble and tighten down.  The silicon carbide presses into both the
aluminum saddles and into the zinc on the galvanized mast. It will not
slip!   Be careful in handling the mast/saddles; the silicon carbide can
be hard on the hands.

73 de Steve, NR4M