Re: [TowerTalk] 16om vertical and the number of radials

To: Ignacy Misztal <no9e@arrl.net>, "tower and HF Antenna Construction Topics." <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 16om vertical and the number of radials
From: "Richard (Rick) Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2022 11:32:10 -0800

On 12/2/2022 6:25 AM, Ignacy Misztal wrote:

On the other hand, some really loud stations n 160m, say 5-10 db above the
crowd, use a massive amount of radials. This is for inland stations, far
away from salt water.

I think this describes my station. I do have a massive amount of radials, and I am constantly told how strong my signal is.
As to cause and effect:  I think not.  The real secret sauce at
N6RK is the high conductivity ground, although the radials obviously
don't hurt.  I am on the Sacramento river delta.  We have 100% clay
going down 40 feet.

Rick N6RK

Is there any discrepancy between modeling and real life performance with
the number of radials? Does adding radials beyond 32 help much? Any real
stories?

The precise number of radials that is optimum depends on ground conductivity. N6LF's excellent work only strictly applies to HIS
ground.  As for my ground, I suspect I could get away with only
8 or 16 radials. YMMV.

Ignacy NO9E