Re: [TowerTalk] Reliability (or not) of SMA connectors

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Reliability (or not) of SMA connectors
From: Martin Flynn <maflynn@theflynn.org>
Date: Sun, 4 Dec 2022 18:04:26 -0500
Similar experience - I use a Pasternak PE5011-1 click wrench on SMA connectors and not have issues with a connector loosening.

73, Martin

W2RWJ

On 12/4/2022 5:27 PM, Gary NA6O via TowerTalk wrote:
I’ve worked on dozens of different airborne and army ground-mobile RF
assemblies over my career, as well as poking my nose inside many pieces of commercial
RF gear. SMA connectors were everywhere. NEVER have I seen or heard of any kind of
sealant, overcoat, or anything of the sort on any SMA connector. Above all, putting
anything inside the threads is simply asking for trouble. TORQUE IT PROPERLY and be
done with it. A quality SMA connector is a high-precision machined assembly and must
be treated with care. See the old HP application note AN-326. They are in fact
vibration-resistant when correctly installed. Proper torque is also mandatory to avoid
well-known frequency response aberrations in the mid-GHz range due to waveguide
effects.

Of course, if your connectors are all crap and/or damaged, none of the above
applies...

Gary, NA6O