Re: [TowerTalk] Reliability (or not) of SMA connectors

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Reliability (or not) of SMA connectors
From: "Lux, Jim" <jim@luxfamily.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2022 06:23:46 -0800
On 12/5/22 2:06 AM, Jim Brown wrote:
On 12/4/2022 11:07 PM, Michael Tope wrote:
I have seen it used that way in all the space hardware that I've worked on

Mike is part of the team that put our rovers on Mars, and Jim Lux is part of the same organization. I know he's done some pretty impressive stuff too.

Yeah, but I've also had SMA connectors come loose (fortunately not in space, that I'm aware of). I've had to re-run a multiday test though.    Mike's comment about big cables and tiny connectors is really important.  You'll see LMR-240 kinds of coax - stiff, heavy.  I don't think that's what SMA was designed for - it's more like 0.085 semirigid and tenth inch coax like RG-174.

We also spent months tracking down an extra 0.1 dB change in the gain of a radar receiver over temperature (the gain changed several dB, but should have been a nice straight line, but wasn't, there was a step at around 20C - and no it wasn't the PTFE step). We finally figured out that it was a SMA that wasn't torqued correctly on the input to a Ku-band LNA, and the tiny change in match due to CTE mismatch in the semi rigid cables moved it just enough.  It flew, since the system calibrated itself - but the concern was "what if it's 0.1 dB today, and 10 dB in flight".  The connectors were all staked with a blob of something, and it was buried so deep the risk of breaking something else was higher than the risk of an idiosyncracy turning into something more.

I think anyone who has done precision RF measurements has had similar experiences. There's a reason you see people tape the cables down to the bench.  That, and keeping the big cable from pushing the tiny hardware onto the floor.  Hooking up a NanoVNA to 1/2" LMR-400 with adapters is always sort of a tail wagging the dog exercise.