Re: [TowerTalk] Wireman W2DU Current Type Balun - Experience?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Wireman W2DU Current Type Balun - Experience?
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2022 17:25:31 -0800
On 12/23/2022 4:35 PM, Richard Smith wrote:
I'm looking to build a couple of 10 meter yagis and want to use a current type
balun (choke balun). I see the offering by The Wireman for a W2DU Current Type
balun. Does anyone on this reflector have experience with these baluns, either
good or not-so-good experience?

My analysis of W2DU's designs begins with slide 55 of this pdf.

http://k9yc.com/CoaxChokesPPT.pdf

Note that many (most?) things sold as a W2DU balun are either his cheapest design which has not nearly enough beads -- poor choking, poor power handling -- or uses a different mix. I don't recommend any of them.

73, Jim K9YC