FW: CT9 & TS950SDX Control [TR & 850, to

Subject: FW: CT9 & TS950SDX Control [TR & 850, to
From: gswanson@arrl.org (Swanson, Glenn, KB1GW)
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 1996 10:20:00 -0400
Thought this would be of interest....

 ------------------Internet Headers------------------

From: k6ll@JUNO.COM (David O. Hachadorian)

On Wed, 21 Aug 1996 20:42:43 -0500 ve6sv@oanet.com (Gordon R. Kosmenko)
writes:
>General technical inquiry......has anybody interfaced CT9 to a
>TS-950SDX ?
>I am interested in the hardware connections. Wiring up the ACC1 jack
>directly to the computer's COM port. Without using the IF-232C option.
>
>Are the RS-232C voltages from the computer COM a risk to the rig ?
>
>I am very much like to "talk" with the folks you have done some work
>in this area.
>
>Thanks & 73  ....Gord
>*  Gordon R. Kosmenko       Internet Email ve6sv@oanet.com *

Gord,

I have hooked a serial port (RS-232) directly to my
TS-850 (TTL), and use it with TRLog. You have to protect
the TTL radio from the higher RS-232 voltage. That's the
purpose of the zener diode clipper. I'm pretty sure the
TS-950 pinouts are the same as the 850. Here's the hookup.
I have trouble drawing pictures with my e-mail editor.

DB-25                           TS-850 ACC 1
 -----                           ------------

pin 3 (RxD)--------------------- pin 2 (TxD)

pin 2 (TxD)----/\/\/\----------- pin 3 (RxD)
               470 ohms  |

                       -----
                         /\
                        /  \  5 volt zener
                        ----

pin 7 (Gnd)--------------------- pin 1 (Gnd)

                          ------ pin 4 (CTS)

                          ------ pin 5 (RTS)

Check it carefully before plugging it in! It has worked for
me for about the past two years with no problems.

Dave, K6LL (on vacation in Utah)
k6ll@juno.com