A better idea???

Subject: A better idea???
From: larrytx@co.intel.com (LarryX Tyree contractor for brentc)
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 1997 14:00:21 -0800 (PST)
N9CO:

> I think that this is an EXCELLENT idea, even though I am comfortable
> with the current scheme.  I see this method as being far easier for
> the TR newcomer, and a no-brainer transition for the experienced user.

That is what I am hoping this will do.

K1HT:

> I feel fortunate that, early on, I learned about the SPACE BAR.  I've
> been following this thread with a bemused reaction, because the SPACE
> BAR generally works fine for me.  Oh, I had a few cockpit errors last
> weekend in the Sprint, but more warm-up time would have eliminated
> most of those -- the week was just too busy.  Thus my initial reaction
> is "It ain't broke.  Don't fix it!"
>
> From your message I'm not sure whether the special CW character and
> the function key are the same thing.  I guess so, because I would
> program that character on that function key (maybe F9 -- something as
> far from F1 as possible, because I still want F1 to send MYCALL when
> I'm in S&P mode).  The special character would switch me to CQ mode,
> and the rest of the message that I program on that key would be the CQ
> message that I want to have sent.  Seems innocuous.  If those who want
> a special feature are happy with it, and I don't have to get entangled
> in it, then why not go ahead.

Right - the command isn't tied to the function key - unless you put
one of these commands in it.  If you don't use the commands, then
nothing has changed.

> We're not far now from answering my question: What's the number of the
> version after 5.99?!

Hmmm - no idea yet.

N0AX:

> I think you're mis-diagnosing the problem a little bit, Bert, er, Tree.
> The main trouble I hear from others learning TR or just using it casually
> is that there are modes *at all*.  Not the sequencing between them.  I
> believe K3LR said, "I want a key to do the same thing every time I press
> it."

I would be interested in hearing more about this from other users who
have made the transition.  Perhaps we can even do better than my
proposal.

> The answer for this type of problem is to allow the user to lock the
> program into one mode.  i.e., "S&P LOCK = ENABLE" or "CQ LOCK = ENABLE".
> (The latter would be popular on the East Coast during DX contests, hi.)
> This just keeps the program in one mode all the time.
>
> To deal with the automatic mode switching, a command could defeat the
> switch, while still allowing manual switching with the TAB key.  i.e.,
> "AUTO MODE SWITCH = DISABLE".

Hmm - guess I need to think about this some - it isn't clear to me how
that would all fit together.

N6NC:

> Tree- I think you're onto something here re "a better way" to toggle
> between S&P and CQ mode. Although I have read your manual assiduously, and
> practiced with the simulator, I still find myself in real contest
> conditions banging the escape key to get back to where I want to be, in
> the correct mode, having dumped a partials from the callsign and
> exchange boxes. Maybe a wipe key that clears both boxes with one push,
> then toggles mode on second push?

Maybe...

N4ZR:

> I think I'd better revisit the commands ... I keep learning about new
> things, like the fact that "now you can be in S&P mode and switch to the CQ
> mode and call CQ by pressing F1..."  Not a complaint - self-criticism if
> anything - but I'd hate to have you cange too much too soon.

Keep in mind it isn't F1 that does this, but a proposed special character
you put in the CW message for F1 (or any other memory).

> I'm basically in agreement with Ward. Us refugees from CT are still finding
> the Modes a little disconcerting!

I remember some peple were able to mostly simulate the way CT works by
programming their function keys to be the same in CQ and S&P modes.  Is
anyone still doing that?

A long time ago, Mark, WA6OTU/N5OT suggested I have a CT emulator mode,
where all of the keystrokes worked the same as CT.  I still think that
would be a programming nightmare, but perhaps there are a few simple
things that could be done to make life easier for the CT addict.

Let's keep up the discussion on this and see where it leads.  Perhaps
this will be the secret "Dayton" feature.

73 Tree N6TR
tree@contesting.com