[TRLog] Partial Call Question & FD comments

Subject: [TRLog] Partial Call Question & FD comments
From: k6ll@juno.com (David O Hachadorian)
Date: Tue, 01 Jul 1997 16:23:15 EDT
On Tue, 01 Jul 1997 12:44:53 -0700 Tom Schaefer <TomSh@firsthealth.com>
writes:
>This may be a question regarding general CW contesting rather than TR
>but they are related. When I am in CQ mode and a station calls me, but
>do not have the full call, what action is the generally preferred
>method.
>
>In other words, do I type as much as I copy, then have a function key
>send \ ? for the partial call and a question mark? DO I simply use the
>paddle to get the call and hit return after I have the complete call
>in the
>call window? Or do I type the call, hit return (so it only sends the
>call
>window contents but no question mark) and the exchange?
>
>Does one ever send the exchange without knowing the complete call?

I think the fastest way is to hit the enter key, sending the
exchange with whatever fragment you managed to copy. The
other station usually realizes that you missed the callsign
and sends it again. This works especially well if you missed the
call because there was a pileup. Most of the pileup will
stand by if the fragment doesn't match their callsign. I have the
CALL OK NOW msg programmed as }^tu^cqtest^\   This sends the
corrected prefix and/or suffix of the other station's call,
confirming that you received it.

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
k6ll@juno.com