[TRLog] Crash Goes TR in SS SSB and sbdvp software

Subject: [TRLog] Crash Goes TR in SS SSB and sbdvp software
From: ni2p@panix.com (Leon Kanopka)
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 1997 18:52:22 -0500
I had the same problem and have been working on finding out what the
cause of this was for the past couple of nights.  I had just
installed the sbdvp software, and got it working correctly on Friday
night before SS.  I built the microphone audio switch box and ptt
cable the morning of SS and tested it out.  I did not add any
practice log entries into TR.  When I started the contest and after
the second log entry, I had the exact same thing happen.  The
callsign would get accepted, but when the exchange was being entered,
the cursor would advance, but it was as if I had just entered all
spaces. This only happened in S&P mode as far as I could tell.  I
was running under Windows 95 DOS (not in a DOS box, booted into
DOS).  At first I thought that RF was getting into the computer from
all of the cables.  I eliminated this theory when I duplicated
the problem with the radio off.  Then I suspected that it was either
running out of memory or a problem with the DOS under Windows 95.
The problem did not exist when I unloaded sbdvp.  I worked the rest
of the contest without this and everything was fine.  I think this
eliminates the trmaster file being bad.  The last couple of nights I
have experimented with DOS 6.20 boot disks and memory managers. I
freed up more memory and it looks like I may have solved the
problem.  I transferred the new configurations into my Windows 95 DOS
and it seems that I can make the program work well when booted under
Windows 95 DOS also now.  I have only tried entering 10 or so QSO's
though.  I am still not certain that I have the problem solved.

I also have found that I must load the sbdvp software, then unload it
and reload it before it will work.  It does not work after the first
load.  This is 100% consistant on my computer.

Has anyone seen these problems before?

Thanks,

Leon
NI2P