[TRLog] Two radios and SSB

Subject: [TRLog] Two radios and SSB
From: n6tr@teleport.com (Tree N6TR)
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 1997 12:04:46 -0800 (PST)
N6TR wrote:

> >That was the only bug that I found.  The two radio mode seems to be
> >fully compatable with the DVP now, including the dualing CQs.  After
> >using this in my first phone contest, I must say this appears to be
> >a powerful weapon for low power efforts in the SS, in addition to
> >the NAQP contests and possibly the sprints.  Check out the latest
> >NCJ for an article by N6ZZ talking about two radios in the NAQP.

K5NZ asked:

> Does this work with a W9XT card??  How are you switching the audio from the
> card between the 2 rigs with the computer?  I understand with CW since I use
> 2 diff. ports for the CW but don't get it for SSB since the card only has 1
> output?

N6TR responds:

There is one basic difference between the DVK and DVP when doing two
radios.  TR doesn't have a way to know if the DVK has finished sending
a message (correct me if I am wrong about this Gary).  Therefore, some
of the fancy things that happen when using the TWO RADIO MODE can't
work because they need to know when a message starts.

An example would be sending the "dummy CQ" back on your run frequency
after calling someone on the second radio (Alt-D and SPACE BAR sequence).

HOWEVER, you can still use the DVK with two radios and efficiently
work guys on the second radio - still using the Alt-D / SPACE BAR
sequence, it is just that the automatic launch of a CQ after calling
and after logging the QSO aren't available (these are enabled by
setting TWO RADIO MODE = TRUE).

You could even do the dummy CQ manually by programming a message
with a Control-A in front of it (send this message on the inactive
radio).

The audio is switched using a relay controlled by pin 14 on the
parallel port (RELAY CONTROL PORT).  This is something that the
proposed switching boxes some people are talking about would have.
You can even use this relay for switch CW instead of using two
different ports to key with.  I have been using this method for
CW now and it works just fine.

Make sure you use two poles for switch the audio so you are
switching the ground and center conductor.  Do not tie the
audio grounds together or connect to any other grounds except
at the radio.

Let me say again - this is a *REALLY* powerful tool.

73 Tree