[TRLog] 3 bugs and ways to make entry slick.

Subject: [TRLog] 3 bugs and ways to make entry slick.
From: W1HIJ@contesting.com (W1HIJ--Bill)
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 1998 14:55:47 -0800
Tree,

>> 2.  W2RQ was in my INITIAL.EX file as BILL, but used the name ROX during
>> the contest. BILL NJ came up on screen when I entered the call, and I
>> corrected it to ROX during the QSO. When I worked him on another band,
>> he came up as BILL again. Settings in INITIAL.EX are overriding the
>> contacts already in the log. QSO information should default to
>> INITIAL.EX only if there are no prior contacts.
>
>I will check into this.  While the initial.ex file is still
>supported, the TRMASTER.DTA file is the preferred method of
>getting initial exchange information.

I think this a key point--- I've found in other domestic contests
especially (SS, NAQP) as well as Sprint, that there are enough changes in
names and QTH's from year to year that TRMASTER is becoming less and less
useful. In fact sometimes it just seems to get in the way and I disable it.
A big step forward would be for the program to check the current contest's
QSO's first and then go to TRMASTER if one is not found.... I try to always
remember to update TRMASTER with POST after a major effort, but that still
doesn't take care of next year's changes...

Seems simple enough, but since you haven't implemented it that way, I
suspect that I'm missing something. Maybe log.dat info doesn't update
initial.ex??

As some of my former programmer employees used to say:  "Customers are OK.
The only problem is, the more ya give 'em, the more they want!"

73,

Bill, W1HIJ
Newport Beach, CA, DM13bo
ex WN1HIJ, W7GEG, AC6UH