[TRLog] Glitches found on field day

Subject: [TRLog] Glitches found on field day
From: n6tr@teleport.com (Tree N6TR)
Date: Sun, 5 Jul 1998 06:59:12 -0700 (PDT)
> I had two funny things happen on Field Day.
>
> The first: I never worked Maine, and it properly showed as an unworked
> multiplier on screen. Then I later found in my log the following line:
>
>  20CW  28-Jun-98 15:09  396  W8RC           1A    Mi             Me      1
>
> On restarting the program after Field Day was over, Me was no longer
> highlighted as an unworked multiplier. POST does not catch this error as it
> lists Me as a worked multiplier. Yes, I checked my ARRLSECT.DOM file and
> it's correct.

Assuming the the ARRLSECT.DOM file isn't at fault, this almost had to be
an entry that was edited after initially logging it.

> The second: I worked two dupes on 20 CW search & pounce. One was detected
> and scored with 0 points but the other was entered in the log with points.
> No big problem as POST caught them both.

Is it possible that the callsign was edited after logging it?  This is
the only way I can think of that happening.  TR won't recalculate the
QSO points in this case.

In both of these cases, a reasonable expectation would be for the editor
to rescore the multiplier, or detect the dupe, and rescore the entry.

However, the basic philosophy of the Alt-E editor is to keep it as
"dumb" as possible.  This gives the user the ability to change exactly
what needs to be changed, without the program doing something unintended.

One of the "habits" people bring over from CT is a "log it first and fix
it afterwards" technique.  TR will be easier to use if the information
is all correct before pressing the RETURN key to log the QSO.

The @ character will send the callsign in the call window.

> By the way, TRLog was a star attractions at W7OTV Field Day this year.
> Visitors were amazed to see a computer doing most of the work and even
> keying the radio. Plus, I found that the alleged learning curve for TRLog
> applies mostly to getting it set up. I found I could train a Field day
> operator in just a few minutes, and operation is so intuitive that it
> almost always did the right thing - even at 5:00 a.m. when I was getting
> pretty stupid. Wonderful program! Maybe next year I can convince the `phone
> guys to use it.

Great - thanks for showing it off.

73 Tree N6TR
n6tr@contesting.com