[TRLog] USB and cards

Subject: [TRLog] USB and cards
From: n7ex@athenet.net (Dave_K9NX)
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 1998 00:56:13 +0000
Ok
I appologize for taking up additional bandwidth but I cant be the only
dense and ignorant TR user out there who is maxed out on ports and IRQs ,
so i hope the discussion is of interest to more than a few and answereable
but a true computer wizard.  In the case of the USB situation, what I'm
hopping is that I can solve the fact that I need to free up one or more IRQ
for an audio card and a 2nd radio control line.

Here is the line up on my current PC a  P-233MMX running W98

IRQ 00 System timer
IRQ 01 Key board
IRQ 02  Programmable interrupt (used by the system for ???)
IRQ 03 COM 2 VHF Packet TNC interface
IRQ 04 COM 1 Radio Interface
IRQ 05 LPT 2 CW keyeing  and PTT interface from TR LOG etc
IRQ 06 Floppy drive controller
IRQ 07 LPT 1 Printer port
IRQ 08 CMOS real time clock
IRQ 09 COM 4 Modem
IRQ 10 COM 3 HF digital TNC
IRQ 11 PCI steering (video card)
IRQ 12 PS2 mouse port
IRQ 13 Numeric co-processor
IRQ 14 IDE controller primary HD #1 and CD-ROM
IRQ 15 IDE controller Secondary HD #2

 My qaundry is that I'd like to add a second radio  (COM 5), and an Audio
card. both of which need dedicated IRQ's if they are to operate ALL the
time in parallel with the other ports without conflict. I could free up IRQ
15 but I'd rather not as this is the "backup hard drive" . And I guess I
could put the printer and the Radio keying on the same LPT with a switch
box as that is the one situation where in practice I never use both at the
same time., that would free up IRQ 05. But if I can get the IRQ's freed up
by moving  some of the COM traffic to the USB then that would be cleaner.
My understandinng is that the USB is faster as well which would be good for
some radio interfaces as some of the softeware I run does end up waiting on
the polling process for traffic with the radio (all though delays that I
see here may be due to the radio and not the BUS polling speed).

Another solution might be to get a  2nd clunker PC and then move  of the
TNC and 2nd radio traffic over there and then network. it back to the main
PC. I could probably move the Printer over there as well. Networking brings
with it another can of worms though that I rather avoid, but I have about
resigned myself to that as a solution.

With true 32 bit technology available in PCI BUS architecture it seems to
me that someone owes us another 16 IRQ's !!!

Help.... thoughts ....other suggestions

Dave
K9NX