No subject

Subject: No subject
From: n6tr@teleport.com (Tree N6TR)
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 1998 08:50:52 -0700 (PDT)

> Anyone else had any problem with optos not keying the VOX on their rigs,
> but keying the CW just fine?  That's what happens on my TS-930 --
> fortunately I also use TR's PTT function to avoid hot-switching my amp, and
> that works fine.

I have seen this with my 850.  It was typically fixed by making sure
I had a good connection with the DIN plug that I was using to connect
the PTT signal to the radio.  It probably was also due to not driving
the transistor hard enough (which is why I went to using dry contacts
in the switch box).

> I would like to be able to use DX4WIN's CW keyboard, though, which does not
> have the PTT function.  I'm guessing that this problem is like some of the
> early solid-state keying circuits, that wouldn't key some rigs because they
> didn't pull the key line all the way to zero.  I'm purely a cookbook
> technician, and would appreciate any ready-made wisdom as to how to fix
> such a problem.

You can probably fix this by putting a 1.5 volt battery in series with
the key line.  Put the positive end on the transistor side and the
negative end on the radio side.  I haven't actually tried this, so
there might be some side effects that I haven't thought of.

Tree