[TRLog] Next release

Subject: [TRLog] Next release
From: n6tr@teleport.com (n6tr@teleport.com)
Date: Sun, 1 Nov 1998 08:51:52 -0800 (PST)
Hi Gang:

The NEXT release will adopt some new thinking about how the files and
directories are arranged.  We have talked about changing this for a
couple of years now, and finally, my brain focused on a solution.

Instead of having LOGCFG.DAT, there will be a file called something
like ARRL_SS.CFG.  Along with that file, there will be ARRL_SS.LOG,
ARRL_SS.TMP and ARRL_SS.RST.  The .RST file replaces the old RESTART.BIN
file.  There is a unique file prefix for each contest.

This means ALL of your files can be located in one directory.  When
you startup TR, it will show you a menu of the different .CFG files
it finds, and you can select one - or press ESCAPE to access the
contest menu to setup a new one.

TR will also detect if you have an old LOGCFG.DAT file and ask you if you
want to have it (and the LOG.DAT/TMP/RESTART.BIN files) renamed to the new
format.  It will do this automatically by reading the CONTEST statement
in the LOGCFG.DAT file to determine the correct file name prefix.

POST will have a similar menu showing the available "logs" that it can
work from.  Some of the files that POST generates will also adopt this
technique - with .RAT for rate, and .SUM for summary.

This will also have significant impact to the manual as any references to
the LOGCFG.DAT file will need to up updated and George's chapter on "the
easy wasy to use TR" will have to be totally rewritten - or just deleted.

I should have the finishing touches completed later this month and have
the manual updated before the end of the year.

I will be flying to W5WMU on Thursday and probably won't be back on the
internet until Monday.  If you have a problem and can't get in touch
with George, call my home number and my wife can take a message and I
will get back to you.

73 Tree