[TRLog] Keyer Challenge

Subject: [TRLog] Keyer Challenge
From: kharker@cs.utexas.edu (Kenneth Earl Harker)
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 1998 01:22:44 -0600 (CST)
    I like this idea.  Adding this sort of functionality to something like
the W9XT contest card (http://www.qth.com/w9xt/w9xtcard.html) would be cool.

Thus spoke Jim - KK7A:

> Let me put a bug in the ear of a hardware designer / programmer.  This has
> been an idea of mine for quite some time, but due to other priorities it
> probably won't come to pass from me.  It would address the timing and
> compatability problems people have when running under NT/95/98, etc..  Here
> is the idea....
>
> Overview:
> - Build a CW keyer on a card that goes into your PC.
> - Build for either the ISA or PCI bus.
> - Use one of the cheap PIC processors that we have recently seen in various
> QST articles.  I'll bet you could build one for under $50.
> - Have some onboard EEPROM so you could download new keyer code (upgrades)
> for added functionality.
> - Would work in DOS, 95/98, NT, Linux, etc. by talking to the board through
> ports or addresses.  Timing would not be criticle.
> - Have external paddle connector on the card.
> - Once the PCs power is applied, the keyer could be used via the paddle
> with no requirement for PC control software.
>
> Keyer Software:
> - As previously mentioned, allow upgrades to the firmware to be downloaded
> from the host PC.
> - Ability to send ASCII characters to the keyer "port" and the keyer would
> convert it to CW.
> - Onboard memories that can be sent via simple commands to the card.
> - Other normal keyer fuctions, ie. paddle reverse, Curtis A/B, iambic
> on/off, etc.
>
> Host Software:
> - Easy interfacing from any of the popular logging programs.... Well, I
> guess that means TR.
> - Up to your imagination.
>
> Well, there you have it.  Do you think you could turn part of your hobby
> into some extra $$$ for some new ham gear?  I would certainly buy one.
> Anyone up to the challenge?  I'm open to brainstorming with anyone who
> would also like to see this idea come to pass.
>
>       73, Jim - KK7A

Kenneth E. Harker      "Vox Clamantis in Deserto"      kharker@cs.utexas.edu
University of Texas at Austin                  Amateur Radio Callsign: KM5FA
Department of the Computer Sciences         President, UT Amateur Radio Club
Taylor Hall TAY 2.124               Maintainer of the Linux Laptop Home Page