[TRLog] Minor CW Problem

Subject: [TRLog] Minor CW Problem
From: n4zr@contesting.com (Pete Smith)
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 1999 22:13:09 +0000
At 03:04 PM 1/24/99 -0700, k6ll@juno.com wrote:
>Here's something that's easy to try.
>Make sure disk write-cache is enabled. From the dos prompt, before
>starting TR, type:
>
>C:\windows\smartdrv c+
>or
>C:\dos\smartdrv c+
>(depending on which directory smartdrv.exe is located)
>
>This enables write-caching on the c drive, which eliminates a lot of
>little timing glitches. I don't know whether it will help this
>particular problem.

The voice of painful experience, tho ... if you're using Drivespace or
Doublespace be very wary of write-caching.  I lost an entire hard drive
because of a power failure in the middle of a cached write, which corrupted
the entire compressed drive file.

At the current price of good fast big hard drives DriveSpace is a risky
proposition, and not worth it.

73, Pete Smith N4ZR
n4zr@contesting.com

Loud is.