[TRLog] Re: Newbie question

Subject: [TRLog] Re: Newbie question
From: n4zr@contesting.com (Pete Smith)
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 1999 21:49:12 +0000
At 02:41 PM 11/19/99 -0600, you wrote:
>   Hi everyone, I'm a newbie to TR and computer contesting.  [My writing
>hand is sore!] Anyway, I ordered TR, now how do I hook it up to my  Kenwood
>TS-940S? I'm basically computer literate, so am thinking it  somehow hooks
>up through a          I get the feeling I'm going to read this a year  from
>now and go "Oh no, I sent in  That question" and blush with  embarassment.
>Thank you! Art Leritz, M.D. W0ART

Hi Art -- Not at all -- the problem confronts everyone who tries to put a
940 in touch with any software for the first time.  There are a couple of
"hook-ups" involved.  To key the radio on CW needs only the simple
interfaces described in the manual.  Computer control of freqwuency, mode
etc. requires one of two solutions:

a) a couple of chips that aren't standard in the 940, to be placed inside,
plus an outboard level converter, which can be built from a number of
available designs (I don't believe Kenwood's own is available new any more)
 Sorry I don't know the details on the Kenwood part numbers, etc., but you
can check the archive of the kenwood reflector at qth.net; or

an add-in circuit board for the 940, from PIEXX  (www.piexx.com, or e-mail
to c_sieg@conknet.com).  It provides a standard serial port out the back of
the radio.  Cost is, I think, $89 plus shipping, and the add-in (which is
new) is getting good word-of-mouth from the TS-940 crowd.

Either way

Usual disclaimer -- I'm not involved with PIEXX except as a happy user of
Chris's replacement TS-930 microprocessor board, which gives us computer
control of this wonderful radio.

ps your e-mail software is sending html -- best to switch to plain text for
reflectors, some of which bounce html messages because of the 'overhead'
involved.

73, Pete Smith N4ZR
n4zr@contesting.com

Sometimes a tower is just a tower