[TRLog] What happened?

Subject: [TRLog] What happened?
From: kg2au@stny.rr.com (Jimmy Weierich)
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2000 18:09:51 -0500
Ok, after playing some more with TR, I understand what's happening,
there's a fourth scenario that should have been in my previous
message:

4. TR recognizes an apparently valid callsign in the exchange field,
but an incomplete exchange. It moves the apparently valid call to the
callsign field and does not log the contact.

This can be caused by running the exchange elements together to
create what appears to be a valid callsign, at the same time making
the exchange incomplete. This is what happened to me and apparently
to the person who first reported the problem. It can also occur when
a corrected callsign is entered in the exchange field and an element
of the exchange is omitted.

Setting CALLSIGN UPDATE ENABLE = FALSE will avoid the problem, but
sacrificing a useful feature to avoid a problem doesn't seem like the
best solution.

In the above scenario, if TR would leave the callsign field as is and
not log the QSO it would avoid the problem while still allowing
updated callsigns in the exchange field. I don't see any negative
effects from doing this.

Again, the real problem is that what may be a valid call in the
callsign field disappears!

Jimmy

--
Jimmy Weierich, KG2AU       <kg2au@stny.rr.com>