[TRLog] Re: My computer won't run DOS

Subject: [TRLog] Re: My computer won't run DOS
From: jimsmith@home.com (Jim Smith)
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2001 00:35:33 -0800
Thanks for all the input, both here and direct.

I was in somewhat of a hurry to get things working before the WW
(wasn't that a great contest?  Most contesting fun I ever had) so
I didn't really say enough, causing many people to take time
better spent on antennas to try to help me.  I apologize for
that.  What follows is probably of no interest to anyone except
those who replied (other than a great trivia question about the
first dot com).

1.      Why am I clicking on command.com instead of accessing the DOS
prompt available in the Win 98 Start Menu?

When I first got TR I wasn't used to running DOS programs in the
Win OS (although my DOS experience goes back to earlier than 3.3)
so, the way I set things up, clicking on Start
Menu|Programs|MS-DOS Prompt runs a batch file which starts TR in a
DOS box and sets things up the way I want.  Not the way I would do
it now but you gotta love a system that runs TR anytime you run
DOS.  At the very least, I would now create a new shortcut to do
this but, it works, so tidying it up is low on my list.  However,
sometimes I want DOS and not TR.  In Win98 the Start Menu DOS
Prompt selection is simply a short cut to command.com which is the
real DOS program.  So, like any other .com or .exe file, double
clicking command.com in the Explorer root directory will open a
DOS box.  (I just realized that DOS could be the first Dot Com.
Will have to check the old CP/M stuff to be sure.  Can I blame DOS
for all the money I lost on the last Dot Com?)

My statement that I double clicked on command.com was an attempt
to show that the problem wasn't with how I set up TR inasmuch as I
was invoking DOS directly.

I managed to give someone the impression that, to start TR, I
double clicked command.com.  No, I start TR by clicking the MS-DOS
selection in Start|Programs.  I doubt that anyone else in the
world does it this way.

2.      Reboot into DOS

2.a.    Cold boot.
                Start Menu|Shut Down|Shut down
                Restart the computer by turning its power back on - Hit F8
                The computer ignored F8 and started Windows.  I have used F8
many
times before, so I know it isn't that I pressed F8 at the wrong
time.

2.b.    Warm boot
                Start Menu|Shut Down|Restart in MS-DOS Mode
                Crash!

Thanks for your help everyone.  I find that my problem is more
serious in that I seem to have lost my sound card too.  For
details, see my CQWW SSB story on [3830].  I'll resolve this
somehow but this reflector isn't the place to do it.

Thanks again for your help and QRZ Papa5? ...oops 73
de Jim Smith VE7FO