[TRLog] Alt-D and Band-map

Subject: [TRLog] Alt-D and Band-map
From: mikeh@airflash.com (Mike Heideman)
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2001 19:37:21 -0800
This is a symptom we've also observed when a callsign is entered on a
non-interfaced computer that is not logging on the same band as the
station being dupe-checked.  I think I first reported this about a year
ago.  The smiley-face or asterisk is based on the current band/mode
(i.e., that of the active interfaced radio or the current
Alt-B/Alt-V/Alt-M settings), not on the frequency the station is
actually on.

I've called some of these stations, only to be told I'm a dupe, which I
discover when I re-dupe them after doing Alt-B or Alt-V to get to the
right band.  I've also looked over at the bandmap on the adjacent
computer in our multi-setup to find that there's a new multiplier on my
band - and it's a guy I just entered into the bandmap, only he shows up
as a dupe on my computer because the band was set wrong.  The other
computer uses the station's frequency to deduce the band/mode, so it
correctly marks dupes and new multipliers in the bandmap.

What's worse is contests like ARRL 10-meter where you can operate on
more than one mode.  If you forget to reset the mode on your radio (or
to do Alt-M if non-interfaced), you will be duping stations in the wrong
mode.  This happens frequently on radios that are just used for
spotting, especially if you aren't using the narrow CW filters.

What usually happens is that you get several new stations in the bandmap
and decide it's time to switch modes, then when you get to the first
frequency (and switch modes to transmit) you discover that the first guy
is really a dupe, and in fact almost all of them are and you should have
stayed in the other mode.  When you re-enter them in the proper mode
then the bandmap shows them twice at the same frequency; apparently the
bandmap is displayed as separate CW and Phone segments within each band
so the two identical entries are not necessarily adjacent in the
bandmap.

My recommendation to Tree - use the station's frequency to deduce the
band and mode just as is done with spots coming from the multi-network
or packet.  This solves both the non-interfaced radio problem and Ingo's
two-radio problem.  The standard BAND MAP CUTOFF FREQUENCY setting is
used to determine CW or Phone.  If the current mode is Digital, then
that should override CW or Phone for contests like Field Day where all 3
could be used.

73,
-Mike, N7MH