[TRLog] Newbie Questions

Subject: [TRLog] Newbie Questions
From: swca@swbell.net (Mark Beckwith)
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2001 13:27:32 -0600
My callsign and exchange fields do not change color when I change from CQ mode
to S&P mode.  I also have completely customized every color on the screen, so
maybe somewhere in that process I made everything the same color all the time.

However, if you have "ESCAPE'd" yourself back out of S&P mode to CQ mode,
hitting the TAB key will put you back.  You mentioned <SHIFT><TAB> - I don't
think you need to use the SHIFT key for this, and that would be why your RIT is
tuning.

My visual cue that I'm in S&P mode is that I can actually see the exchange
field.  In the CQ mode you can't (uh, I guess?).

I use the SHIFT keys to tune my RIT when running a CQ frequency.  VERY handy.

Tip:  Memorize the following command: "Kill CW <Alt-K>"

Whatever mode you're in, even if you can't tell or you aren't sure, Kill the CW
and finish the stuff by hand.  Once you have regrouped mentally, either <Alt-K>
again to unkill the CW or the computer may do it for you automatically when you
instruct it to send another CQ.

Another tip:  Memorize this one:  "Log it <Ctrl-Enter>"

No matter how screwed up you get, you can <Ctrl-Enter> and if you have a good
call in the callsign field and a good exchange in the exchange field, this will
log it without sending anything.  You can send whatever you want by hand.

I guess it goes without saying that you must have your PADDLE wired in to TRlog
to do these things.  For the record, I remember N6ZZ forgot his paddle in the
1990 CQWW at HC5K and operated the ENTIRE contest, single op, using TRlog
without a paddle.  This is not recommended!

Mark, N5OT