[TRLog] Newbie Questions

Subject: [TRLog] Newbie Questions
From: n2mg@contesting.com (Mike Gilmer - N2MG)
Date: 17 Dec 2001 07:09:01 -0800
1) How do you guys *manage* the difference between S&P
mode and CQ mode?  IOW, there seems to be no "mode"
annunciator on the TR screen.  And, it seems that an
overzealous use of <ESCAPE> can return one to CQ mode
as well.  Is there some (perhaps subtle) difference I
could look for?

2) I typed a call in the callsign field, then realized
I was in CQ mode and I tried to switch out of it by
hitting the <TAB> but all TR did was move the cursor
to the exchange field.  Not sure if I had done
anything else, but assuming that this is as expected,
is there anyway to switch modes at that point?

3) Has anyone found it desirable to use the <SHIFT> tuning feature regularly?
I found that my admitted
slowness several times in trying a <SHIFT><TAB> to
change CQ/S&P mode (I apparently held the SHIFT down
alone a bit too long) caused the radio to start to
tune. Yikes!  I disabled the <SHIFT> tuning feature after the second mishap.

4) Most importantly, does TR know how to utilize extra
(expanded or extended) memory for anything but DVP?  I
have 8Meg in my 486, but the memory count hovers near
100K.

Tnx,
Mike N2MG

http://www.peoplepc.com