[TRLog] XP and DOS Now Play Nicely Together

Subject: [TRLog] XP and DOS Now Play Nicely Together
From: W2CS@bellsouth.net (Gary Ferdinand W2CS)
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 07:46:02 -0400
Related to this excellent thread I offer the following *possible*
alternative.

You can install in XP an XP component called the recovery console.  As far
as I know, this is a totally new concept with XP (I'm not familiar with
Win2K/NT, so it might be there, too).  The end result of installing this
component is on boot up you get a choice of which to boot, native XP or the
XP recovery console, with a time-out so your default system gets booted
without intervention.

Now, I haven't tried it, but perhaps someday I will...  The recovery console
looks rather suspiciously like a DOS boot!  But it's one that will access
NTFS partitions as well as FATs.  I'm wondering if TRLog will operate
correctly in the recovery console boot up.  Once the boot is complete, you
get a line prompt just like in DOS.

If this were to work, it would be a cheap alternative to buying Partition
Magic, installing PM's boot manager, and setting up DOS boot partitions,
etc.

You install the recovery console from the XP CD.  Doing a Help search in XP
will tell you how.

I'd be interested to know if anyone has tried using the recovery console as
a TRLog foundation and whether it works.

73/Gary W2CS