[TRLog] Observations from CQWW SSB

Subject: [TRLog] Observations from CQWW SSB
From: kk1l@arrl.net (Ronald Rossi)
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2002 23:50:19 -0500
Read comments inline below...

William Liporace - NA2NA wrote:

> It has been a while since I worked a semi serious effort with TR.  Of course
> this is the first time I have even gotten on for more than a couple of hours
> in a long time.  I first want to thank ALL of the TR crew for a GREAT job
> that they have done......KUDOS!!!!
>
> I expect that all of this has been addresses before or there is a setting
> that I do not have set. So since I have big shoulders, I can/will take the
> heat!

FLAME ON... ;) ;)

> I was using version 6.70, radio is a FT-1000, serial interface, DOS 6.22,
> 128M RAM, DVP board.
>
> 40 meters was the area that I was a bit frustrated  (It is one of my
> favorite bands, even during SSB). If a spot came in with a QSX and I went to
> grab it. My radio went to CW mode. The other bands had this happen as well,
> there were many  DX stations operating out of our band, but listening up.
> Of course 40 & 80 are the most common, but also seen on some of the other
> bands. BTW, I had more QSOs on 40 than on 20!!

There is a setting outlined in the README buried under version 6.64. It
is
the BANDMAP SPLIT MODE option. The choices are either BY CUTOFF
FREQUENCY
(default) which uses the BAND MAP CUTOFF FREQUENCY table, or ALWAYS
PHONE
which I use. In my experience it is much more rare for a station to be
running a contest split in CW.

> In sending spots, the program does not read the QSX freq and forces me to
> manually entering it. This made it tough to S&P and send spots quickly. I
> try to send as many spots as possible when in S&P mode. I am not a spot
> sucker, I try to send close to as many as I use.....

This is on the list!

> Also in the reports, can we get a total on air time?  Most of the programs
> tell you how much time you spend on the band. I like that feature. I know
> this year, I have about 10 -12 hours on (mostly Sunday) the air, but the way
> I was feeling, I have no clue.

I would need an arm twisting for this one. Surely doable though. I could
make
the gap time a variable when doing the calculation. It would be hard to
justify
spending much time on it right at the moment.