[TRLog] Serial card question

Subject: [TRLog] Serial card question
From: kl7ra@blizzard.gcgo.nasa.gov (KL7RA)
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2002 07:29:39 -0900
 [TRLog] Serial card question

>Quick question.  I have an old card which does "2 serial ports."  There =
is a
>big empty socket on it.  Does this mean that to use serial port #2 I =
have to
>buy/scrounge a chip?
>
>The instructions have a chip number in parenthesis in that spot on the =
board
>but nothing to the effect of "this board really only does one serial =
port
>out of the box; if you want to use 2 you have to get the missing chip?"
>
>Anyone been-here-done-this?
>
>Mark, N5OT

Hi Mark

Yes, I have done that, a lot.

Your board is missing the second port transceiver chip. The early boards =
came=20
in several versions, some fully populated, some not.

The problem I have is many of the old boards didn't silk screen the =
setup data
on the circuit board and of course the instruction sheets are long gone. =
I ended=20
up having to buy new (old) boards just to keep the frustration level =
down.=20

There are several companies that sell the old boards, fully populated =
with the
setup inscribed on the boards. I just bought four for $12 bucks each. =
You may=20
find a better deal on ebay.=20

The irony here is I also bought four more Pentium 90 machines for the =
multi-multi
and they were only $2.50 each.....  Supply and demand at work, this =
would be a
good paper for some economics 101 class.

73 Rich KL7RA=20

 =20

=20

multipart/alternative