[Trlog] Serial Port Network is Asymmetric?!

Subject: [Trlog] Serial Port Network is Asymmetric?!
From: kl7ra at ptialaska.net (KL7RA)
Date: Mon Jun 30 11:37:18 2003
N6XI writes:   -snip-
> different versions) and using the built-in COM1 ports.  I jury-rigged a
> serial cable at the 11th hour using an unholy alliance of 9/25 adapters,
> gender benders and exactly one null modem to achieve the Pin 2/3
> reversal.

Hi Rick
DB-9f and DB-25F use different pins for some of the signals. TXD
and RXD are reversed. Null modem adapters flip these signals and
some loop back signals. Using an "unholy alliance of 9/25 adapters,
gender benders and adding a null might archive the poor results you
report.

I have six identical "old" P90 machines in a TRLog network using
homebrew serial port cables going around the room to each PC as
described in the manual. I have found this network to be 100% reliable
during a 48 hour multi-op contest. The network seems free from RFI
and will even "catch-up" all the logs if a PC was down for awhile.

But I feel your pain. I can remember trying to get the old Laplink
or Winlink file transfer software working on Window's PCs at work
using different cables and adapters. It would work for awhile then
just stop requiring a reload of one or the other computer. I can
understand why some folks don't like serial port networks on PCs.

73 Rich KL7RA