Re: [Trlog] WAE RTTY QTCs

To: trlog@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Trlog] WAE RTTY QTCs
From: VR2BrettGraham <vr2bg@harts.org.hk>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 01:16:37 +0000
K4RO continued:

My understanding was that QTC's don't work in the RTTY mode.
I did try a Control-Q once this weekend to see what happened,
but I don't recall anything happening.  Hated to send "NO QTC"
but that's what I did whan asked.  It didn't work last year on
RTTY either for WAE, as I recall.

Kirk's just a little older than me & like me probably qualifies for QCWA, so I guess we can both be excused for having forgotten about:

http://lists.contesting.com/archives//html/TRLog/2002-11/msg00071.html

And:

http://lists.contesting.com/archives//html/TRLog/2002-11/msg00077.html

This year I sent 40 QTCs.  The trick - especially if one has only single
element antennas for all bands, like I do - is to only do QTCs with really
strong stations, preferably in between instances of solar flatulence.  Tell
the other guy you will go "blind" whilst doing the QTC, but he should
still confirm the QTC Q by Q.  For the first Q of the QTC, listen carefully
to the other guy when he comes back, as you need to learn to recognize
the Baudot for "R", "OK", "CFM", "QSL" or whatever short confirmation
the guy will send - which is bound to be the same each time.  If it
sounded short, then he probably got the first one, so proceed with the
next.  If after any Q he comes back differently - except diddles, which
indicate hunt & peck typing - then send that bit of the QTC again with "A"
until he does come back with what you think is what he sends for "roger".

Do not send the QTC all in one go as I tried last year.  It's a real pain to
do a ^L-Q later, transcribe to paper, then F10 it all over again to the other
guy.

A possible alternative to paper & pencil for receiving QTCs for non-EU
stations is ^N.

I worked one guy this weekend who sent me "TT7" for a serial number, so
perhaps there's one other out there using TR for RTTY other than Kirk, Rich &
me.  ;^)

73, VR2BrettGraham