Re: [Trlog] NAQP question

To: "Bob Evans" <Bevans@hal-pc.org>, "'TRlog'" <TRlog@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Trlog] NAQP question
From: Jim George <n3bb@mindspring.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2004 20:30:28 -0600
This is exactly my question as well! After giving it some thoughts, and hearing the extremely smooth way that W4PA moved me to 160 for a QSO (since he probably didn't need Texas for a mult on 160) while continuing a good rhythm on his run frequency, here is my thinking on the subject:

1. It's hard sometimes to know if you need the mult, because the location of the station is not known if you have not worked him/her before.

2. So be prepared to enter the exchange info, and if you need the mult on another band after seeing the "mult needed data," log the QSO with the CTL ENTER keys so you do not send the "QSL Message" because then he is gone!

3. Program and press a key to send " ) PSE QSY TO " and then send the frequency with a paddle or with the F10 keyboard CW.

4. Program a key to send " ) ) \ \ " to call him/her on the suggested frequency. Proceed this command with the CTL A command to put the call on the inactive radio.

5. Until he answers you, continue CQing on your run freq.

6. When the station answers you on the QSY frequency, hit the ALT R key (to make the inactive radio active), and the CTL R key to pick the station's call sign from the previous QSO), and work the station on the QSY freq with the proper F keys and log the QSO.

7. Press the ALT R key and go back to the run frequency. Continuing CQing as before.

There probably is a more elegant way to do this, but it's the best I can think of at this time. The NAQP is hard because you don't know if you need the mult from the call sign unless you have worked him before and the database knows his QTH. If it's a brand new station, you must either know where he is, or go through the steps in #2 above.