[Trlog] Re: TR on Linux

To: TRLog <trlog@contesting.com>
Subject: [Trlog] Re: TR on Linux
From: Doug Smith W9WI <w9wi@earthlink.net>
Date: 17 Aug 2004 12:25:31 -0500
On Tue, 2004-08-17 at 11:01, trlog-request@contesting.com wrote:
> One other thing: Because of the thread on the reflector late last year,
> I really wanted to incorporate an Appendix on running TR under Linux.
> However, from what I have been able to determine, it is in fact not
> possible to have TR run under Linux and to be able to send reasonably
> high-speed CW properly (say 40WPM). If someone has managed to install
> and run TR on a Linux system *and has CW working properly under real
> battle conditions* please let me know the details.

I've got the simulator working itself at 55wpm flawlessly right now.
Parallel port CW is enabled, though I don't have a rig connected to the
Linux box so I can't be 100% sure it would actually key OK.  (the
computer sidetone is fine)  I have not tried this in an actual contest.

I'm using DOSEMU 1.1.99.1, FreeDOS 1.1.32a, Linux kernel 2.4.18 on a
1.2GHz machine with 512MB RAM.  TR is running in an xdosemu window.

TR version is 6.77.  The simulator is working the CQ WW contest and
reading calls from my 1.2MB TRMASTER.DTA file.  (i.e. not using the
built-in calls)

For reliable CW, the dosemu window needs to be the only one with any
significant activity.  (I can type an email in Evolution in another
window without affecting the CW, but if I click "reply" on a message to
open a new window, the CW will stutter pretty badly)  Other windows can
be open (I have an xterm, Mozilla, Evolution, and two Open Office text
documents), they just can't be doing anything busy.

Also, you can't have more than one DOSEMU window open.  The CW won't
just stutter -- it will sound like a cat walking on the keyboard...
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View (Nashville), TN  EM66