Re: [Trlog] RE: Sprint mode question

To: trlog@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Trlog] RE: Sprint mode question
From: Ken Beals <k6mr@pacbell.net>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 18:37:28 -0700
Wow. I guess everyone sees "simplicity" a different way. Looks interesting, but like you say, a serious learning curve. Maybe if you have a NCCC get together at your place it would make an interesting demonstration!!

I just use the shift keys for the RIT, with a few other keys doing the on/off, and clear programmed into the TU messages.

dit dit,

Ken

Eric Hilding wrote:

Ken, K6MR kindly responded:

> Since the call window is cleared once you send the
> exchange,  you can't just send the call window.   In the case of the NS
> (which is really the Internet Sprint format), it can get ugly.

Ugly is a kind word :-)

> I do have the Alt keys set to identical messages in both modes: things
> like UR CALL?, NR? NAME? etc. are pretty useful. I also try to use
> the same F key in all modes for the same info. Besides having a cheat
> sheet taped to the keyboard. I suppose after ten years of using this it
> might become second nature, but not at the moment.

I'm reducing as much as possible to SINGLE key functionality, and use two X-Keys strips
mounted at a 45 degree angle for fingertip reach, PLUS a separate keypad...all color coded
buttons, and do the call, qth, name, etc. via these keys independently of TR key-combos
(except that the key basically opens Send-CW, then whatever I type into the X-Keys Macro,
then Enter). For regular F function, I just pre-program any colored button to do the work of
an "F" key. I can also tune my Kenwood RIT with two fingers hardly raised off the keyboard.
It works VERY cool. Another 6 months of practice with it and I should be dangerous by then!

You can see the setup (always in constant Beta Test) at: http://www.k6vva.com ... look directly
above the mini-keyboad & to the left :-)

> For sending a partial call, just use @? in a key. That will send
> whatever is in the call window with an added ?. So if you have only
> entered W4, you'll get W4? This is kind of a dual purpose, since if you
> don't have anything in the call window you just get ?

Ah ha...I knew there had to be a way...TNX, Ken.

73...

Rick, K6VVA