Re: [Trlog] QTF what?

To: trlog@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Trlog] QTF what?
From: VR2BrettGraham <vr2bg@harts.org.hk>
Date: Fri, 01 Oct 2004 07:01:53 +0000
N6TR replied:

> Finally got around to seeing why TR tells me UA0SMF is 12000 km away from at
> a bearing of 166 degrees.
>
> Tried UA9* & UA0* - only UA0S, T & W are off. Way off.
>
> Presumably a negative in front of what should be a positive number or vice
> versa
> for the position of those locations? The data for this isn't in CTY.DAT...

No - the position is in the code.  And it was wrong for UA0S.  The location
is entered as a grid square - which the sunrise/sunset and beam heading
routine can use directly to compute headings.

The grid for UA0S was 0022 (zero-zero-two-two) which should have been OO22,
(oh-oh-two-two).  I am sure that will make a difference!

Same grid must be used for UA0T, as I get same bearing & distance from here in OL72bk. UA0W is apparently QTF 185 at 11093 km, with ascending & descending earth turns of 2304 & 1231, respectively. UA0S/T are at 1512 & 0510, though only 1000 km further away at QTF 166.

One suggestion: if a station has a grid in TRMASTER, then one only gets a QTF -
no range or sunrise/sunset times. It would be nice if the program could use that
grid to calculate all, as it does for just the prefix of a call in the call window.

73, VR2BrettGraham