Re: [Trlog] 4-port card for an old machine?

To: TRLog Reflector <trlog@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Trlog] 4-port card for an old machine?
From: Ken Beals <k6mr@pacbell.net>
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2004 08:03:03 -0800
I was using a 2 port PCI serial card for a while, under Win98. The limitation I ran into was that Windoze would assign an oddball port address (something like 1058 and 1060). Unfortunately it doesn't put those addresses in the bios lookup table, so you have to tell TR what the port addresses are. But that only works for ports 5 and 6, as far as I know. So adding two more ports with another PCI card didn't work. Or should I say 'I' couldn't make it work. I tried assigning "standard" port addresses to the card, but again, those addresses are not put in the lookup table so TR can't find them.

I finally found a four port ISA serial card at a surplus house. Good thing for old surplus computers with ISA slots.

Ken K6MR

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jim Smith" <jimsmith@shaw.ca>