Re: [Trlog] config.sys and other issues

To: Steve London <n2ic@arrl.net>
Subject: Re: [Trlog] config.sys and other issues
From: George Fremin III <geoiii@kkn.net>
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2006 09:42:24 -0800
On Sun, Feb 12, 2006 at 12:06:59PM -0500, Steve London wrote:
> It looks like smartdrv only becomes effectual when executed from within
> a DOS shell.  Once I type "smartdrv c+ " from the DOS prompt it works
> correctly and my problems are solved.

Ah..

> However, this brings up the question of how to "correctly" do this with
> a Windows 98 machine ?  I want this computer to default boot to Win 98,
> not DOS.  Right now, I bring it into DOS by hitting F8 as it is booting
> up, and entering the "command prompt" option. The autoexec.bat and
> config.sys seem to be getting executed, although the smartdrv in the
> config.sys doesn't work.
>
> Is there a better way ?

When I have used Win98 on a machine to run TR I have done it
by steping through the start up - from the boot menu - and
answering yes or no as needed for each thing to load.

In your case you may just need to figure out where to
put the smartdrive thing to get it started by default
when you boot a certain way.  As I recall there are
several autoexec.bat type files in win98 and
they get called for diffrent reasons.

Another option would be to install FreeDOS on that machine
and then get freedos all set up just the way you like for contest use.

I have a similar machine - well a bit faster - that I have
setup as a dual boot win98 / freedos machine and it worked
very well in CQ WW SSB.  I keep meaning to move it to the other
position in the station and start using it full time as
my contest box.

The freedos install will install a boot loader and it
was very easy to make my machine dual boot win98 and freedos.
Now I just need to put a Linux install on it.  :-)

--
George Fremin III - K5TR
geoiii@kkn.net