Re: [Trlog] On deck call results

To: "'Tree'" <tree@kkn.net>
Subject: Re: [Trlog] On deck call results
From: "Fred Helmstetter" <fjh@uwm.edu>
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2006 16:07:32 -0600

> On Mon, Nov 06, 2006 at 12:38:38PM -0600, Fred Helmstetter wrote:
>
> > I ran 6.85 for my first 300 or so qso's and the bandmap / 2nd radio /
> packet
> > stuff seemed to work perfectly.  Unfortunately, I had another issue that
> > nobody else has mentioned yet.  I started seeing a significant delay
> when
> > logging a qso.  At first it seemed normal but after a couple of hundred
> q's
> > it was a show stopper. I estimate it was around an 800msec delay when I
> > swapped in 679 to finish up and seemed to get longer as the log size
> grew.
> > It would send the TU message and then hang there with the last guy's
> call in
> > the window. For a while I could just type the next caller (without the
> > display changing) and it would let loose with CW after the pause but the
> > time delay made it just about impossible to run.  Of course, 679 was as
> > responsive as ever...
>
> Interesting.  I am not sure I have any explanation for this.
>
> Are you using a disk cache like smartdrv?
>
> Tree

I was at first but eliminated it when I switched to 6.79.  I'm out of town
for another week or so but I plan to see if I can sort it out some time
before CQWW.  Probably read in some logs with and without the disk cache and
compare 679 to 685.  Will report back when I have time for a more systematic
approach.

73,
Fred, N9FH